Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Hydro-Locked the Motor

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilSmith View Post
    if you buy it back it wont have a salvaged title. only salvaged title once its sold to a salvage company.
    Not so sure about that, My daughter totaled our Camry here in AZ and I was told I could buy it but that it would have a salvage title which meant I could only have liability insureance, they would no longer cover any future damage to the camry itself.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Buying it back has it's pros but lots of cons. Might be better to take your money and start over who knows you might even come out a head.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    Not so sure about that, My daughter totaled our Camry here in AZ and I was told I could buy it but that it would have a salvage title which meant I could only have liability insureance, they would no longer cover any future damage to the camry itself.
    i may have misspoke. here in Va if there is a clear title w/ no liens then you can buy back and the title will not be salvaged. if the bank still has the title then the insurance co will get the title first and they can mark it salvaged before you ever see it.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Senior Member Getting Dirty DetroitMarauder's Avatar
    If you have the room for it you could buy it back and part it out. Take what you need/want, sell the other parts and scrap the rest.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    The ULTIMATE would be to get your hands on a 3.0L CRD turbo diesel as in exported Commanders. 500+ lb.-ft. of torque and 30+ MPG!!

I think I'd buy it back and motor-swap it. You can get crate motors from Summit Racing and other places. Or, stuff a Perkins diesel or the like in it. If you get another XK from the insurance, there's nothing to lose except time. And if there's an insurance salvage issue, make a door-less off-road buggy from it.

Frankly, I doubt the salvage thing would matter as you can get them re-certified again. I have a buddy who buys wrecked totals and rebuilds them for profit. He takes them to the state patrol and gets a new DOL something for them before resale. Many times a car/truck/SUV is "totalled" even if not that badly damaged, as in your case. The insurance companies just want out the cheapest and easy way, and repairs are too iffy for them.
    Last edited by Adondo; 11-02-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I'd shop around for a loaded 2010... first mod would be a snorkel.

I've swapped motors before and honestly, i'd rather start fresh; nothing like a clean slate.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'd shop around for a loaded 2010... first mod would be a snorkel.
    Tell your insurance agent about the snorkel... maybe it will qualify for a rates discount.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    lmao that'd be hilarious! And when he looks at you funny you can say "wellllll, it would've saved us a lot of trouble if i had it on my 2008 now wouldn't it have?"

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty XK N00b's Avatar
    You guys crack me up I am currently shopping around for another Commander. Slim pickings though as mine was pretty well loaded and I'm (going to say the wife is) a bit picky about getting one as close to the previous as possible. I tried talking the insurance company into fixing ours but, no dice. Thinking again, I can see where they wouldn't want to risk prolonged repairs, though it was only in the water for 3-4 minutes, It took them two weeks to get an appraiser out to start making decisions. That's plenty of time for any water that may have gotten into the transfer case, transmission, differentials to start causing problems. Also, if I keep it, I'd still owe $4k after the payoff and still $10k in repairs that may not be as simple as a motor swap. Totaling it out, the payoff offer was enough to pay it off without using GAP insurance and a little bit of money coming back to apply to a down for a replacement. I really miss that car The rental for the last week has been a Yukon and it just doesn't measure up.
    2008 Overland in Black
    Loaded, Leather, 5.7 Hemi QDII,
    All 3 MOPAR Skids, VEC, Tow Pkg., 2" Rough Country Lift, 1 1/4" Spidertrax spacers, 255/75/17 BFG M/T's, Flowmaster 50 series muffler

Hmmm not good ...Reason I fitted an Airflow snorkel to my diesel after a friend did the same and hydro-locked his.. Totaled the power plant .... Expensive replacement so at about $500 for a snorkel makes a worthwhile investment... A lesson for all not to immediately hit the starter which is a natural reaction I guess... Good luck with it.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information