Thread: Tire Gate.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I would go with a similar concept but use bracketry through the bumper instead of the body around the tail light. It'll probably be difficult to reinforce that area and the hatch.

Conceptually, envision the tiregate design supported by brackets directly on the bumper as opposed to the hitch... which gives me another idea, shackle mounts through the bumper anyone???

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    I've mentioned it a couple times. I want 4xG rear sliders with attached swing out carrier.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I would go with a similar concept but use bracketry through the bumper instead of the body around the tail light. It'll probably be difficult to reinforce that area and the hatch.

Conceptually, envision the tiregate design supported by brackets directly on the bumper as opposed to the hitch... which gives me another idea, shackle mounts through the bumper anyone???
    I'm having a hard time envisioning that. What support is there in the bumper... are you talking about the 'shoulders' on the edges? I would think it would be very easy to reinforce the mounting points from the inside using thicker steel brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    I've mentioned it a couple times. I want 4xG rear sliders with attached swing out carrier.
    I would not be opposed to this at all....

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I'd use the framing behind the bumper to build off of, not the bumper itself. From the outside it would look like the carrier is just bolted to the bumper, but there'd really be steel directly on the other side (kind of like studs in a house used to hang a TV via a mount... the TV mount isn't screwed to the sheetrock, its screwed into the studs behind the sheetrock)

Ah, ok - how would the presentation look once the bumper is put back on. How will the bumper be modified to fit this extra framing.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Ah, ok - how would the presentation look once the bumper is put back on. How will the bumper be modified to fit this extra framing.
    On the XK we have lots of room back there AJ for you though hiding the frame work behind the bumper might not be possible.

Which makes me revert back to my 2,nd idea. The WK and XK are different in the rear. But I know a shop and I will see what the options are.

Thread Information