Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Discussion - Front solid axle conversion

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    You do realize that swapping a Dana 44 in the rear would be pointless and a waste of money right. Our axles have a ring gear of 8.25 and a Dana 44 has a ring gear of 8.50

Well unless the Dana 44 was given to you for free!
    If you don't want to bolt in a Dana44 rear from a 2wd XK, and are going to upgrade....a Ford 8.8 would definitely be next on my list.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Yeah ford 8.8 would be nice but wouldn't work so well with our computers
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

QTII commanders utilize a separate controller for the transmission/transfer-case right? Wonder what would it involve to eliminate all 4x4 function from it for full manual control of transfer-case.

There have been several SAS dakotas...wonder what they are doing.

It looks like the jk guys that swap to a hemi use the 545rfe and it bolts to the tcase that comes in the manual jk...they use 2wd motor/trans combos.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    To get full manual tcase in a xk/wk you need to do 2 additional things
    1- match the nv245 gear reduction or reprogram the computer for the new gear reduction
    2- have a switch that tells the computer what gear you're in

It definitely adds significant complexity to doing this swap if you're not satisfied with the nv245. Lol probably deserving of its own thread too

I swapped a manual tcase into my Explorer back in the day. Didn't need to do anything special though because the computer didn't care, i just had the wrong speed displayed on my dash.

The xk/wk platform is a completely different beast due to the advanced traction control system that monitors each wheel speed relative to trans speed and even relative to steering wheel position.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    As I said a bunch of times before if I struck millions I'd do this but you look at trialbyfire and other heavily modded XKs and there really isn't much they Can't do.. I know people mention wheeling with the luxury of our rigs with the capabilities of SFA but to be honest I'd rather get another trail rig if at all to have fun with, you start swapping drivetrains and the luxuries of our XKs are almost gone minus the interior's.. I hope someone does it cause it'd sure be cool just not realistic for me right now.. Plus I love seeing look on people's faces when my IFS Jeep does what it does with minor upgrades, that to me is what makes wheeling an XK fun..

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    To get full manual tcase in a xk/wk you need to do 2 additional things
    1- match the nv245 gear reduction or reprogram the computer for the new gear reduction
    2- have a switch that tells the computer what gear you're in

It definitely adds significant complexity to doing this swap if you're not satisfied with the nv245. Lol probably deserving of its own thread too
    Do the 2wd xk's have traction control? I wonder if it would be as simple as swapping in a 2wd ecu/pcm when you do a sfa swap to overcome those issues.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
    Do the 2wd xk's have traction control? I wonder if it would be as simple as swapping in a 2wd ecu/pcm when you do a sfa swap to overcome those issues.
    Yes they still have the ESP, however the front is controlled a bit different since there's no power to the front wheels. We'd still have the same issue since all of the modules talk to each other, so if the wheel speeds don't match what the computer thinks they should based on engine/trans RPM, the vehicle will go into limp mode and be stuck in 2nd gear.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Can't wait to get my front diff wired up. This beast won't need a solid axle.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information