Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
I'm actually researching so I can build my first AR. So, any advice is welcomed. It will be mostly for HD and when/if SHTF. So far I know I want a 5.56 flat top upper with a 1x7 twist, preferably chrome lined. No quad rail gaurd but, a modular unit to place pic rails where I feel necessary. Iron sites with option to mount optics and standard collapsable stock. Brand names are not a "must" but quality is. Also, this will be a budget build. So, if you guys have spare parts that fall into the previouse categories....please let me know.

Any input or advice/suggestions? Please be cival as I am a total newb to this platform, thanks.
How FAMILIAR are you with AR15's? Will this be your first AR EVER? If so, I'm gonna recommend buying a COMPLETE rifle (Colt 6920) FIRST - especially a good one, like the Colt - so you can see how it's made, how it works, get used to field stripping & cleaning it, and how it handles with a variety of ammo.

I'd owned AR's for 18 years, and shot tens of THOUSANDS of rounds through them - before I started tackling the building process. They're not complicated, but they aren't idiot-proof, either, and building something that's got to contain CONTROLLED EXPLOSIONS, is NOT something you want to approach lightly & half-ass!

Tell us your firearms background, and lets see what we have to build on.