Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake Line Extensions

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

Brake Line Extensions

For anyone looking to maximize rear travel/articulation offroad, you'll want to extend the passenger side brake line. Easiest method is to drop the bracket down. Doesn't have to be pretty.... here's what I ended up with using some scrap material.

For the driver-side I didn't drop mine down yet. It's not as big of an issue because the gas tank is the limiting factor (even with the skid cut):

Note that with the control arm hitting the skid tank, center-to-center of the shocks is 27.5" (the top of the tape is on the top of the bolt, so that's the reference point- not the center of the bolt in the picture)

Last edited by Matt; 02-24-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I need to do this someday
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Member Looking for Dirt
    Thanks for the pic's and info!
    Is this necessary for the front lines?

Quote Originally Posted by p@55w0rd View Post
    Is this necessary for the front lines?
    Nope. Our IFS doesn't have enough travel, even modified, to worry about the brake lines.

Senior Member Getting Dirty thance's Avatar
    Looks like you cut the gas tank skid deeper than I did.... does the upper control arm sit on the tank now when all the way down? I was trying to keep it a little on the skid.

On a separate note, do you have enough washers on the drop bracket?????????

I was just think that lowering the gas tank would be antiproductive to ground clearance, however, if you were to take the heat gun to it and slope the back edge where the control arm sits, you may be able to gain another inch or more of droop.

Has anyone tried this?

I dont think it'll be worth the trouble. The most you'll gain by modifying the gas tank is ~1/2" more travel, and thats assuming you're running 28" long shocks. Most shocks are 27.5" or less which means the shocks will limit travel before the gas tank does.

The next step up in shock size is not practical with our 2-3" lifts because the compressed lengths are too long.

Im not worried about the control are hitting the tank there. The tank is very thick and there's only axle weight at that point. Although if I had some foresight when I was cutting the skid I would have left just enough so the arm contacted both at full drop.

So then......... if there were more to be gained you might take the heat gun to the gas tank?????

....cuz I was just playin.

We've had members remove doors.... I put nothing past this group!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty valpacer's Avatar
    Matts right on with the shocks, however i would still put a drop bracket on the tank side brake line as well, as at that droop there is still pressure on the line, which you dont want.

Interestingly, the SL shocks in the kit are actually 28", which surprised me a bit when i got the kit. I run a 32" shock with my lift, which once you have the SL brackets on the UCA's in the rear it puts the arms in the same spot at 32" of shock extension. The shocks that come with the OME kits are under 26" in length as well.

Its the same reason i am not a fan of the JBA long arm rear for the WK. It still uses the SL brackets and straight arm UCA's on the rear, so no more travel than i have now with the standard length arms. When we go long arm on mine we are relocating the tank with an LRA tank (ends up where the spare was) and the tank will go. Its the only way you can get real articulation with these.

Oops, got a bit off track, Id recommend you do both sides with the bracket, nice job on the home fab Matt!

Dave
    Dave
    2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD QDII - 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails & Rear Sliders, Saguaro F&R Bars, Warn 9.5CTI-s, AEV Saverge Rims, 35" KM2's, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, ARB Dual Compressor + On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Optimas Front and Dual Rear Aux Batteries YouTube Vids

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information