Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: AJeepZJ's WK Garage (The Atacama)

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    Looks sweet man!
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    K&N is IN! Everyone is right about those instructions... they SUCK, i mean it is just a casserole of nonsense on paper. I eventually just ditched the instructions all together, and looked at the pictures, because the written explanations were GARBAGE... AND i have leftover hardware... nothing makes me more upset than leftover hardware. But it's in, it ain't moving anywhere, but it is hissing... and I forgot why they do that.

Pics below

remove grill

remove this

remove this

and this inlet at the front

temporarily remove this.

put the shield together with all the nonsense that goes with it... and put it in the engine bay

attach tube to air box, put filter on and BAM!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Yup they do hiss a lot don't they.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Yup they do hiss a lot don't they.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The hiss eventually went away, so that's cool

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    The hiss eventually went away, so that's cool
    You can still hear it from the outside I don't think it ever goes away LOL

Looks good. K&N's hiss like a pissed off kitty cat.

You gonna have to make a list of the performance mods you've doen dude. I can't keep up! LOL.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    You can still hear it from the outside I don't think it ever goes away LOL
    It was outside when I first heard it. I started the Jeep and went to check on everything and heard the hiss. Went to grab some groceries, started the jeep again, went to check on it.. Hiss wasn't as loud. And when I got to the parking lot to check a final time, the hiss did not SEEM to be there. Whether it is or not no longer matters to me because I can't hear it while standing at the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by criket View Post
    Looks good. K&N's hiss like a pissed off kitty cat.

You gonna have to make a list of the performance mods you've doen dude. I can't keep up! LOL.
    I actually reorgnaized my front page a couple weeks ago, so if you check the first page of this thread, they are all actually listed there and it's quite organized

Oh my bad. I'll go to page 1.

Senior Member Getting Dirty DetroitMarauder's Avatar
    The instructions were terrible. I should have told you to put the heat shield together the night before. That thing was a pain in the butt and took the longest of the whole install. Don't worry about the extra hardware, I had some too.

I get the sucking/hissing sound for a couple seconds on start up, especially when it's cold outside, but it eventually goes away.
    2008 Jeep Commander 3.7L V6 4x4, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Bilstein Struts, Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Leveler Shocks, Rusty's Adjustable Track Bar, K&N CAI 63, Flowmaster Super 44 Offroad Muffler, Bull bar w/ driving lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitMarauder View Post
    The instructions were terrible. I should have told you to put the heat shield together the night before. That thing was a pain in the butt and took the longest of the whole install. Don't worry about the extra hardware, I had some too.

I get the sucking/hissing sound for a couple seconds on start up, especially when it's cold outside, but it eventually goes away.
    Nice to know... I ordered the Drycharger that you and Chris recommended. Should be here tomorrow, and I will slap that on. I saw your review for it on Amazon. You'll feel torque, but you typically won't 'feel' horsepower. Though I guess you could 'hear' it, lol. My kit shipped in today, so i wasted no time doing anything the night before. What actually took me the most time was the upper mounting bracket for the OEM construction of the intake. I had no tools that would actually screw it out.. .my hand-held screws were basically pivoting around the screw... I ended up BREAKING the intake out of my engine bay... and hammering and straightening that tab out. It looks clean and professional. The heat shield took a little bit of time to do, but It wasn't TOO bad... But yeah.. the instructions need help... I don't see them fixing them any time soon since it looks like K&N discontinued this product???

In any case, I can feel the lower RPM pull from the engine, especially around 3000rpm's just around shifts. I'm not sure if this is consistent with your experience. In all seriousness... no BS.... I'm not sure if I would have felt any one of these performance mods individually. But, together, they certainly have an impact on performance - and that was my goal to handle these 285's.

Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread Information