Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
The only way to completely disable the traction control on our vehicles is to pull the fuse or rig a switch like I have. Trust me on this. Holding down the button until you hear the chime only completely disables the ESP. The traction control still kicks in and applies the brakes to any tire that loses traction. Every time my jeep comes off the pavement I do this method and the traction control still kicks in. My jeep see's some sort of hardcore off roading on a monthly basis.

When I go to Rausch Creek, I put the XK in 4 low and hold down the traction control button until it displays ESP OFF. This only partially disables the traction control system. When a tire comes off the ground, it still applies the brakes to that wheel which kind of fools the open differential, sending power to the opposite wheel allowing you to continue moving forward. I do that method everytime I go offroading (4-low w/esp off) and have no issues climping rocks at RC.

I pulled the traction control fuse once while at RC on a blue trail and wasnt able to go anywhere. Every time a tire would lose traction it would just keep spinning and have no forward momentum. Basically you only have two wheels out of four spinning since the traction control doesnt kick in by applying the brake.
Well, ya gotta do what experience tells you that works. However, I don't understand why the "limited slip" function of the TCS system should be detrimental to crawling on the rocks. Folk instal LSDs and Detroits on purpose to get that functionality. When disabling the ESP system the limited slip part of the TCS is all that continues to work, and it seems to me that it would be to your advantage.

Just my 0.02