Page 48 of 83 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Core XK's Garage

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    And I love wheeling with huge lifted trucks on 36+ inch tires with crazy ground clearance that get buried because they have open differentials front and rear. Again traction is a key element in wheeling. Not sure why were even talking about this. Lol superlift isn't even available and ill make a bet it won't be available for a long time!
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I've done every trail there my XK is capable of going through without the additional approach/departure angles and belly clearance the superlift provides and not a single one of them would "require" the rear locker with the QTII system.

I guess it depends on how bad you're willing to smash your undercarriage and possibly body panels against stuff. I get the feeling that Corey is a bit like me and doesn't want to beat the crap out of our vehicles to get it through something.

I dont know how Jay's vehicle was setup but driver ability also plays a huge role. My buddy with his 3.7L QTI WK has made it up some serious stuff (one climb where even you swore he couldn't get up IIRC)

Truck for truck, i'd put a superlifted 5.7L QTII w/33s over a 2" lifted 5.7L QTII w/32s & rear locker any day of the week, especially at Rausch.

Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    because they have open differentials front and rear. Again traction is a key element in wheeling. Not sure why were even talking about this
    So now all of the sudden that you have a lunchbox locker in the rear you're comparing the QTII system to a basic drivetrain with open diffs?

Case in point Tim (3.7L QTI) WALKED up a climb that a TJ with 35s struggled to make it up because of his open diffs.

You weren't there for this trip... but this guy was blushing at a few places and i believe ordered a locker within the next day or so after the trip lol

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I've done every trail there my XK is capable of going through without the additional approach/departure angles and belly clearance the superlift provides and not a single one of them would "require" the rear locker with the QTII system.

I guess it depends on how bad you're willing to smash your undercarriage and possibly body panels against stuff. I get the feeling that Corey is a bit like me and doesn't want to beat the crap out of our vehicles to get it through something.

I dont know how Jay's vehicle was setup but driver ability also plays a huge role. My buddy with his 3.7L QTI WK has made it up some serious stuff (one climb where even you swore he couldn't get up IIRC)

Truck for truck, i'd put a superlifted 5.7L QTII w/33s over a 2" lifted 5.7L QTII w/32s & rear locker any day of the week, especially at Rausch.
    Well I guess I can agree with you about the last statement but the 4 inch Superlift isnt available and I will bet that it wont be available for awhile. Members waited 5+ months for it to arrive and ended up having to cancel the order. So with that in mind, why not spend the money to add a rear locker and save the beating on the drive train. Applying the brakes to a wheel that has all the power going to it totally beats on the internals of the differential/transfer case of a QT II. You dont have this problem because you have one of the most superior 4wd sustems on the market that uses ELSD's.

Jay has a 4 inch lift running 33x12.5's. He has been wheeling all his life just like us. What I was referring to was the fact that his crossmember hangs a lot lower then an XK/WK running an OME lift which was getting hung up on rocks on blue trails that we would drive right over.

So now all of the sudden that you have a lunchbox locker in the rear you're comparing the QTII system to a basic drivetrain with open diffs?

Case in point Tim (3.7L QTI) WALKED up a climb that a TJ with 35s struggled to make it up because of his open diffs.

You weren't there for this trip... but this guy was blushing at a few places and i believe ordered a locker within the next day or so after the trip lol
    I wasnt comparing the QT II system to a vehicle that has open differentials. We both know the QT II will beat open differentials hands down. Remember the wrangler I had to tow up the hill climb at Rausch Creek that had open diffs. And I did that with a bad transfer case. I used the statement of big lifted trucks with huge tires and open differentials to show that lift isnt everything. You also need traction at the same time. I know the QT II system works well off road but after wheeling last week with the rear locked its so much more capable and not as harsh on the drive train. Ask Sal about the noise our front end makes when the brakes are applied to a wheel that loses traction. Its not good!
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 10-05-2012 at 05:06 PM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Of course lift isn't everything.... lol anytime a WK or XK goes offroad we prove that fact

My point was you made it sound like Corey would be so much better off with the noslip over the superlift, which I didn't agree with..... and it sounds like I misinterpreted you because you said you agree with me lol. And like you said, if the superlift isn't available then yes, of course I agree id get the locker for exactly the reasons you mentioned. But I don't think Corey is going to make that type of purchase for quite some time; so hopefully im installing two superlifts and not 1 locker next year....

Of course lift isn't everything.... lol anytime a WK or XK goes offroad we prove that fact

My point was you made it sound like Corey would be so much better off with the noslip over the superlift, which I didn't agree with..... and it sounds like I misinterpreted you because you said you agree with me lol. And like you said, if the superlift isn't available then yes, of course I agree id get the locker for exactly the reasons you mentioned. But I don't think Corey is going to make that type of purchase for quite some time; so hopefully im installing two superlifts and not 1 locker next year....
    Haha. Sometimes when I post it doesnt come out exactly how I wanted it to and can easily get misinterpreted. I think we were agreeing with each other the whole time but I just wrote what I meant wrong.

LMAO you were 2 posts away from me setting up a Adam Vs Sal offroad challenge! Figured the only way to see how much that locker helped ya was to pit you against another QTII owner who's as crazy as yourself! haha

....wait a second.... thats still a good idea..... SAAALLLLLLL!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Core XK's Avatar
    I'm back! and I am glad to see the debate on my garage thread. GET THE **** OUT OF MY GARAGE........kidding.

I am constantly learning from you guys and the price difference of the SL to the locker is pretty significant (especially since the SL is having so many issues of being ordered/delivered) I am not sure what route I will go after sliders. I will be FULL armored in January RC trip with sliders and front guard; so after that I need to think hard if I want the locker or keep saving cash for the SL.

And yes Matt is right, I will never beat my XK to get through any trail. I am excited for the challenge of the blues but I will never push the XK too far.
    2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

My Garage: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...re-XK-s-Garage

LMAO you were 2 posts away from me setting up a Adam Vs Sal offroad challenge! Figured the only way to see how much that locker helped ya was to pit you against another QTII owner who's as crazy as yourself! haha

....wait a second.... thats still a good idea..... SAAALLLLLLL!
    I think with a good transfer case my jeep would have the edge over Sal's. I have mud tires and rear locker.

Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    I think with a good transfer case my jeep would have the edge over Sal's. I have mud tires and rear locker.
    Yeah.... but he's "Sal". The dude will find a way lol

Page 48 of 83 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread Information